The Rubber Labels USA’s Connecticut heritage starts in 1847 when the Litchfield Rubber Co. moved to Naugatuck, and the name was changed to Goodyear’s India Rubber Glove Mfg. Co., as it began to manufacture rubber gloves for telegraph linemen. This is the only company in which Charles Goodyear, inventor of the rubber vulcanization process, is known to have owned stock. By 1892, there were many rubber manufacturing companies in Naugatuck, as well as elsewhere in Connecticut. Nine companies consolidated their operations in Naugatuck to become the United States Rubber Company. The United States Rubber Company was one of the original 12 stocks in the Dow Jones Industrial Average and became Uniroyal Inc. in 1961.
The From 1892 to 1913, the rubber footwear divisions of U.S. Rubber were manufacturing their products under 30 different brand names, including the Wales-Goodyear Shoe Co. The company consolidated these brands under one name Keds in 1916 and were first mass-marketed as canvas-top “sneakers” in 1917.
The rubber labels division of the United States Rubber Company was created to make rubber labels for the Keds sneakers and the tires and gloves around 1916. In the 1950’s the labels operation was moved to Gastonia, NC manufacturing plant. There was an embossing labels operation at this time however it was eliminated in the 1990’s.
U.S. Rubber took many name changes through the years, the longest being known as Uniroyal Inc. Most recently, in 2017 Lanxess has acquired Chemtura, a Uniroyal heritage company and together with it the Rubber Labels operation.
Finally, in 2019 Rubber Labels USA has acquired the rubber labels division from Lanxess Inc. and relocated the business to Milford, Connecticut, some 30 miles south from it’s original location.
Copyright © Rubber Labels USA – All Rights Reserved